How to rock your curls through the Christmas celebrations - Curly Hairstyles and tips for the festive season!
All around the world, friends, families and co-workers are gathering to enjoy their Christmas festivities! Delicious dinners, backyard BBQs, and fancy work parties demanding your best dressed. As Michael Buble' puts it, It really is the most wonderful time of the year ...
The festive season, full of events, parties and get-togethers, is the perfect time to get creative with hairstyles that will not only turn heads, but make you look and feel amazing!
From elegant updos to free-flowing waves, there's a plethora of styling options that can elevate your hair to the next level for any holiday festivities. That said, we understand that Christmas in Australia is HOT. Like, really hot! And we all know curly hair is more prone to humidity and frizz on its best day, let alone in a heatwave!
Don't let that get you down, though; we've decided to lend a helping hand and listed our favourite curly hairstyles to help you through the silly season, as well as providing essential tips on managing your hair's health amid the season's demands.
Styling stress and weather challenges, particularly over an Australian Christmas, are a real thing, and with a little bit of help and a few simple strategies, your hair doesn't have to suffer.
Six Knock-Out Hairstyles for Parties and Festivities
- The Classic Half-Up, Half-Down: This timeless style works beautifully on curly hair, especially if your hair is a bit shorter, as it can control frizz on top while adding volume! Pull the top half of your hair back and secure it with a tie for a more 'festive look'; add some bling or Christmas sparkle.
- Festive High Ponytail: Gather your curls into a high ponytail. Add a scrunchie or ribbon for a touch of 'Wow'. It's a simple and chic way to keep your hair off your face during celebrations. Perfect for scorching hot days where the last thing you want is your hair sticking to the back of your neck.
- Glamorous Side Sweep: For a more sophisticated evening look, try sweeping your curls to one side and securing them with bobby pins. This asymmetrical style is always a winner, and with a bit of bling, your Christmas style is complete!
- Bouncy Curly Bob: If you have shorter hair, embrace the volume with a curly bob. Use a curling wand to define your curls and add extra bounce. Just remember to take extra care of your hair while using heat styling and use sparingly to reduce damage.
- Elegant Updo: Twist and pin your curls into an updo. Either a low bun or if your hair is longer, opt for a side bun. With the addition of a clip perfectly placed bit of sparkle, this style is perfect for Christmas parties and more formal occasions.
- Natural Curls with a Festive Headband: Sometimes, simplicity is key. Let your natural curls shine by adding a festive headband. And we don't mean the type you wear to the gym- think a festive coloured piece of fabric or a sparkly, glittery woven or plated. Encourage defined curls by using a strong hold gel like POW. This hassle-free style is perfect for a casual Christmas get-together and allows your natural texture to be the hero.
Extra Care for the Festive Season
We all know that endless parties can take its toll on the health of our hair. The holiday season often involves:
- Extra styling.
- Regular use of heat and product use.
- Additional wash days and "perfect hair" expectations.
Here's how to manage:
- Limit Heat Styling: Try to minimise the use of heat-styling tools. If you must use them, always apply hair protection products. Always use a diffuser when using heat to disperse it evenly.
- Deep Conditioning Treatments: Incorporate deep conditioning treatments like Drench & Quench into your hair care routine. A good hair mask will help replenish moisture and nourish your curls when they're feeling stretched out.
- Avoid Product Overload: It's tempting to use a lot of products to keep every curl in place. Instead, opt for lightweight products that won't weigh your hair down. Washing your hair twice will help to cleanse your hair thoroughly.
- Stay Hydrated and Mind Your Diet: Remember, what you eat and drink affects your hair health. Overindulgence in alcohol and neglecting a balanced diet can lead to dehydrated, lacklustre curls. Keep hydrated and maintain a balanced diet rich in nutrients. If you are overindulging, let's face it, most of us do. Try to gain some balance by drinking plenty of water and eating well the rest of the time.
Managing Your Natural Texture in the Heat and Humidity
Celebrating Christmas in Australia means dealing with summer's intense heat and humidity. This can be extra challenging for those with curly hair.
Imagine you've perfectly styled your curls, Mariah is playing through the house, the Christmas lights are sparkling and BAM! You open your oven to retrieve your perfectly cooked turkey only to be engulfed in a heat wave… que the humidity! Your styled curls instantly drop flat, and your left feeling like a hot mess.
Here are our FIVE top tips for avoiding frizz, flat, limp curls that scream I've been attacked with a humidity stick!
Tip #1: Use the Aircon and keep cool!
We are all for saving on your electricity bills and only utilising the aircon unit when absolutely necessary, but if you want to keep those curls defined all day, don't be afraid to use those modern conveniences to keep you cool and collected.
Tip #2: Choose the Right Products
Use products designed to combat frizz and hold curls in humid conditions. Cruise Control Curl Cream is our choice for combating annoying frizz, and has added humidity-control components.
Tip #3: Refresh Your Curls
Keep a small spray bottle with water and a little conditioner. A quick spritz and glaze over your curls using the prayer hands technique can help revive your curls throughout the day.
Tip #4: Opt for Looser Styles
Tight styles can become uncomfortable in the heat. Looser styles not only feel better but can also look effortlessly chic. A loose braid or low bun is perfect for keeping your curls under control but also keeping your hair off your neck.
Tip #5: Protect Your Hair from the Elements
Just like your skin, your hair needs protection from the sun, surf and chlorine. Use a curl cream and leave in moisturiser prior to swimming, and cover up with a stylish hat when outdoors. If you're worried about "hat hair," simply add some water to your hands, tip your head upside down, and use your fingers to shake your curls. For a more extensive guide on looking after your hair over the summer, our blog on Spring Into Summer is one to read.
Christmas time is the perfect opportunity to experiment with your party look! It's fun to try different hairstyles that embrace your natural curls.
Let your curls be the talk of every Christmas party; don't hide them- show them off!
Whether you're attending a casual family gathering or a fancy work Christmas party, there's a curly hairstyle that will suit the occasion and your hair type. Remember to take extra care of your curls during this silly season, and don't be afraid to rock a new style or two! Even in the dense Aussie summer heat.
Merry Christmas from everyone at LOHY x